Data EngineerApply Now Experian is an Equal Opportunity Employer Including Disability/Veterans Job Number: 1810288 United Kingdom
We are currently looking for a Data Engineer to join the Experian pH team based in London.
Who are Experian pH?
Experian pH is a data-driven B2B marketing, risk and analytics consultancy. We work with FTSE 100 companies transforming how they approach problems using techniques and models developed over 25 years. At Experian pH you can expect to work on projects to improve our data processing, supporting projects for large and widely known businesses from sectors including banking, utilities and telecommunications. Ultimately you will be helping to provide those businesses with a better understanding of their customers and the people behind them, giving them the better and faster tools to add new customers, automate decision making and guard against fraud and failure.
Our people are self-motivated with a flair for problem solving and a proactive attitude to their own professional development. We aim to hire people with a desire to learn and a genuine interest in both programming and data – they’re our lifeblood. The relatively small size of our team means that each of us has to play a diverse role, and once up to speed you can expect to also.
What is the Data Engineer responsible for?
We’re looking for a data engineer to work on the strategic anti-money laundering application for one of the world’s largest banks. The application uses data from a large variety of internal and external data sets which are used in a model to guide how the bank detects and prevents money laundering. You will be responsible for modifying the database application to add new features as required and optimising ELT procedures and current code to deal with increasing data volumes.
You’ll be working on an existing code base containing SQL, PL/SQL and Python – you should consider yourself to be comfortable with SQL and one of the procedural dialects. You can expect to be responsible for:
- Use PL/SQL to create or improve the efficiency of processes or services
- Writing and maintaining automated test suites
- Writing SQL queries on multiple multi-million row tables quickly and efficiently
- Engage with internal client teams and project stakeholders to provide advice on how to best use services
- Take ownership of feature development and ongoing maintenance
- Provide guidance and support to other developers encouraging best practice. Introduce new concepts and ways of working
Knowledge, Experience & QualificationsWhat are we looking for?
We're looking for bright individuals who are passionate about programming with a genuine interest in data. We're looking for:
- Science, maths or data/computing based degree (or equivalent experience)
- You must be a self-starter able to take on a project and run with it, or research and solve problems
- An excellent communicator able to talk about technology to non-technical people
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving skills and a flexible attitude to your work
- A confident SQL developer able to optimise queries and generate and run SQL dynamically
- Competent in one or more procedural extensions to SQL
It’d be nice if you have experience using any other programming languages (such as Java or Python), but this isn't essential.
Could this be your new role for the new year? We look forward to receiving your application.