Senior Data EngineerApply Now Experian is an Equal Opportunity Employer Including Disability/Veterans Job Number: 1810289 London, United Kingdom
We are currently looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join the Experian pH team based in London.
Who are Experian pH?
Experian pH is a data-driven B2B marketing, risk and analytics consultancy. We work with FTSE 100 companies transforming how they approach problems using techniques and models developed over 25 years. At Experian pH you can expect to work on projects to improve our data processing, supporting projects for large and widely known businesses from sectors including banking, utilities and telecommunications. Ultimately you will be helping to provide those businesses with a better understanding of their customers and the people behind them, giving them the better and faster tools to add new customers, automate decision making and guard against fraud and failure.
Our people are self-motivated with a flair for problem solving and a proactive attitude to their own professional development. We aim to hire people with a desire to learn and a genuine interest in both programming and data – they’re our lifeblood. The relatively small size of our team means that each of us has to play a diverse role, and once up to speed you can expect to also.
What is the Senior Data Engineer responsible for?
We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to work on the strategic anti-money laundering application for one of the world’s largest banks. The application uses data from a large variety of internal and external data sets which are used in a model to guide how the bank detects and prevents money laundering. You will be responsible for modifying the database application to add new features as required and optimising ELT procedures and current code to deal with increasing data volumes.
You’ll be working on an existing code base containing SQL, PL/SQL and Python – you should consider yourself to be comfortable with SQL and one of the procedural dialects. You can expect to be responsible for:
- Writing SQL queries on multiple multi-million row tables quickly and efficiently
- Use PL/SQL to create or improve the efficiency of processes or services
- Writing and maintaining automated test suites
- Engage with internal client teams and project stakeholders to provide advice on how to best design a solution
- Take ownership of feature development and ongoing maintenance
- Take ownership of some application development projects
- Provide guidance and support to other developers ensuring that best practice is adhered to. Introduce new concepts and ways of working.
- Continuously improve knowledge of chosen field or programming language and suggest new and improved solutions to old challenges
Knowledge, Experience & QualificationsWhat are we looking for?
We're looking for experienced data engineers/programmers with a genuine passion for programming and developing a career within a global, market leading organisation. We're looking for:
- Science/maths or data/computing based degree or equivalent experience
- Some relevant industry experience, ideally working on Oracle projects
- You must be a self-starter able to take on a project and run with it, or research and track down particularly knotty problems
- Able to talk about technology to non-technical people
- Logical and analytical with the ability to see the implications of technical findings and issues on the end client experience
- Able to guide a small team technically
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving skills and a flexible attitude to your work
- A confident SQL developer able to optimise queries and generate and run SQL dynamically
- Competent in PL/SQL
It’d be nice if you have batch/shell programming experience or have used Docker, Kubernetes or Openshift, but this is not essential. It would be a bonus if you have an understanding of the data industry and up to date knowledge of the use of data by large companies to prevent money laundering, but training will be provided.
Could this be your new role for the new year? We look forward to hearing from you.